Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mission: Lyme Journalism

I hereby declare a very specific sub-mission regarding Lyme Disease Awareness:

I will push back against journalistic weaknesses in every article I read about this disease. It will be an ongoing series on this blog. Want to help me name the series? Post in the comments.

I get weary reading these stories where there is no digging, at all. As a layperson, I can find more information shining a light on the background of these issues than a journalist?

I don't think so. I think that journalism is in decline as the industry is taken over by corporations which are not dedicated to the mission of the 4th Estate.  Profits are more important than speaking truth to power. In a world where people are consuming information at a rapid pace, 24 hrs a day, news corporations are more interested in pumping out product than providing meaningful content. They don't have the patience it takes to dig into a story deeply, so they print whatever they can get in the fasted time possible.

At least that's how it looks.

Well, I can do my one little part. I know a bit about what's going in the realm of Lyme Disease. And I have a strong sense of logic and discernment. So, when news outlets publish something related to Lyme, I can practically smell the weaknesses.

I'll sniff out what I can and report what I find here. I hope you find it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment